We’re happy to share preventative tips and care information for keeping your Denver home’s plumbing system in the best condition. Here are some of our most frequently asked questions. Please contact us with any questions you have!
Why does my drain get clogged?
There are numerous things that can cause your drain to become clogged. These are the 8 most common causes along with some preventative tips:
- Hair: Hair can easily bind with debris, grease, and other sticky items to form a clog. Affordable drain guards can be purchased and easily installed to your drains to prevent hair from entering your plumbing system. Make sure to empty these guards on a regular basis.
- Soap: Traditional soap bars typically contain fat or grease. This can mix with minerals found in water, leaving soap scum throughout your fixtures while also clogging your pipes. Consider different soap options and have your pipes hydro jetted to clear out this buildup.
- Dirt: Dirt easily builds up when washed down your drains. This can easily be prevented by washing excess dirt off outside rather than inside your home.
- Food: Even if you have a garbage disposal, the less food you put down the drain the better. Certain foods should always be avoided in order to avoid food clogs in your disposal and pipes. Try composting or throwing food debris in your trash instead.
- Mineral Buildup: Hard water contains a lot of minerals that can create insoluble masses that block your drain. Installing a water softener can help address this issue. Regular cleaning to remove sediment is another option– contact your Eagle Drain team for difficult-to-remove mineral buildup.
- Small Objects: Foreign objects can easily go down your drain, causing significant clogs. Child locks and guards are available for prevention as well as disposing of all items properly.
- Toilet Paper: Excessive toilet paper can cause toilet clogs, preventing them from flushing. A plunger can usually address this issue if water is still capable of running through the toilet. A professional plumber is needed for more significant blockages and clogs.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots are one of the most common causes of clogs and blockage. Tree roots are persistent when it comes to finding water sources, drawing them to your underground plumbing system. A professional plumber is needed for proper tree root removal.
What causes my faucet to drip?
There are four common culprits that can make your faucet drip:
- Corroded Valve Seat: A professional plumber can make sure this is regularly maintained, providing replacement if necessary.
- Problem in the O Ring: O rings can become damaged from regular wear-and-tear as well as with old age. Replacing the O ring will fix this issue.
- Worn Out Washer: Washers are usually the most common cause of a leaking faucet. Replacing your washer will fix this issue.
- Improper Installation: Washers can be improperly installed, leading to leaking faucets. Contact your Eagle Drain professional to have this fixed.
How can I prevent leaking pipes?
Here are some preventative tips that any Denver homeowner can take advantage of for preventing leaking pipes:
- Check Your Pressure: Your water pressure for your home should never go above 60 PSI. The ideal range is 30-50. If your water pressure goes above 60, this can lead to water hammers which results in leaks.
- Make Sure Fittings Are Tight: Inspect areas under your sink regularly and make sure all the fightings are tightened. This also gives you the opportunity to spot out damage, corrosion, and other issues before they get worse.
- Seal Your Joints: Improper seals are one of the most common causes of leaking pipes. Whether you opt for DIY work or hiring a professional, proper seals make a huge difference.
- Install a Water Softner: Hard water accelerates damage in pipes due to the high mineral content. A water softener can help prevent this damage, providing longer lasting pipes.
- Insulate Your Pipes: With below freezing temperatures in the winter, it is crucial that you properly insulate your pipes. This is really important for the pipes outside of your home, in your garage, basement, and underneath the sink.
- Have a Professional Inspection: Regular inspections are a great preventative method for keeping your pipes in good shape. Your Eagle Drain plumber will be able to spot out problems while they’re still small, helping you save time and money.
Is it a big deal if my toilet is running?
A running toilet means that the flapper isn’t functioning properly or that the fill valve is improperly adjusted. A constantly running toilet means a higher water bill, unnecessary expenses, and wasted resources. Replacing the flapper or adjusting the fill valve will usually address this concern. Contact us for professional repair support!
How long should a water heater last?
On average, a water heater should last around eight to 12 years. Electric models can typically last around 10 to 15 years.
Didn’t find the answer?
Request a Drain Expert
Choose Eagle Drain for A Better Plumbing Company in Denver, CO
Eagle Drain understand the importance of an efficient plumbing system. For years, we’ve brought quality and performance together to provide homes and businesses a positive experience. Our plumbing specialists are dedicated to using leading edge technology along with industry standard practices, to bring pipelining, rooter work, drain cleaning services, and more to Denver, CO homes and businesses. Call or click to contact us today!